LDI - WHAT WE DO
Working together to increase the economic vitality of our downtown
A prosperous downtown that welcomes residents, entrepreneurs, and visitors to engage in a thriving Main Street community full of unique shops and restaurants, live entertainment, thriving businesses, natural beauty and inspiring history.
“Luray is an amazing place to call home” Growing up right here in Luray, Meredith knew she would call the Shenandoah Valley home again.
After graduating from Radford University with a BS degree in Fashion Merchandising and spending some time in the home building industry in Charlotte, NC her and her husband Mason moved to Denver, CO. She realigned with her college degree working at the corporate headquarters of a yoga brand overseeing regional retail operations.
“Working for a lifestyle brand with a strong hold on its culture and values has helped shape the type of leader I am today” Meredith has a unique background in retail, real estate, and real life experience. All of which she brings to this organization in hopes to help continue the LDI’s vision of “ A prosperous downtown that welcomes residents, entrepreneurs, and visitors to engage in a thriving Main Street community full of unique shops and restaurants, live entertainment, thriving businesses, natural beauty and inspiring history.”
In 2016 Meredith and her husband packed up the dog, cat, skis and yoga mats and headed back to Luray.
“I love the vibe in our town, coming home helped me see it with fresh eyes, I was overwhelmed with its charm all over again.” Meredith is excited to join the efforts in making Luray an amazing place to live in and visit. I know tourism is important to the economic vitality of our community, and so are our locals. I hope to aid in the efforts of so many in our community to support the growth of our historic downtown. I know main streets across the country are the life line to their communities and ours is no different. I don’t want downtown to just stay alive, I want it to THRIVE! My favorite part about my neighborhood in Denver was the small town feel our streets had. Local shops and local people are the engine behind what many see as a cool place to visit for the weekend” Meredith hopes to help foster new relationships with the businesses and locals alike to create the type of downtown they truly want. Change is fundamental if growth is possible. We will grow our downtown together and it will take the entire village to do it, I’m excited and ready for the challenge”
Our office is in the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Center building at 18 Campbell St. Stop by and say hi!
Board of Directors
Members of the Board represent a cross-section of community leaders and businesses owners.
Current Board members are:
- Judy Bell – Bill Dudley & Associates Real Estate Inc.
- Bryan Chrisman – Town of Luray
- Bill Isenberg – West Main Market
- Jacob Mowry – Blue Ridge Bank
- Jason Petit – Baby Moons
- Susan Rocke – Shenandoah Moon
- David Slye – LD&B Insurance & Financial Services
- Joey Sours – Town Council
Please contact Luray Downtown Initiative, if you are interested in becoming a board member.
- Bill Huffman, President
- Susan Rocke, Vice President
- Barbie Stombock, Treasurer
Main Street Links
The Luray Downtown Initiative has recently reached 2 major milestones in its 13 year history of preservation and economic development on Main Street.
- The Luray Downtown Initiative and the dedicated volunteers have contributed more than 25,000 Volunteer hours since 2004.
- The accumulated volunteer hours equate to more than $650,000 in support of downtown revitalization.
- The Luray Downtown Initiative and The Town of Luray have created the climate for more than $15 million In private investment, resulting in substantial new business and job creation and the preservation of downtown’s vitality for generations to come.
Benefits of a local Main Street program include:
- Enhanced community pride and quality of life, protection and use of historic assets in town, increases collaboration between public and private sectors in order to attain common goals, and grows existing businesses, attracts new ones and reinforces other economic development activities.
Here at the LDI we have 4 new committee groups YOU can be a part of. Serving on a committee is a great way to get involved. It requires some time commitment and a whole lot of passion. You will meet so many new friends and become a part of the revitalization team in Luray.
This group sets the strong foundation for the organization including maintaining our records, by laws and finances.
Design and Business Relations Committee
This group has a commitment to making the most of our community’s unique sense of place and existing historical assets, harnessing local economic opportunities and creating a supportive business environment.
Marketing and PR Committee
This group creates our brand, maintains our vibrant communication vehicles such as social media, website and print.
Events and Fundraising Committee
This group plans and executes our annual events that support downtown and leads our campaign for giving to LDI year- round.